Friday, November 10, 2006

Jack of All Trade : Master of General Management ( Part -II )


Sales & Marketing

Sales & Marketing was adorable vanity to me !

Lets go back in time, When I was selling Potato Wafers in the Gallery of Chinnaswamy Cricket Stadium in Bangalore during an India - Australia Cricket Match. It was an all-together different Experience , but something worthwhile remembering because Mind u , its not easy to sell wafers in the gallery to a crowd which goes crazy with every Delivery and partly because I was blocking their line of sight


In the end they had to buy my wafers to get rid of me ( An ass that won't Quit !)

Whatever be the case !!!! I achieved fulfilment of purpose........

At the end of the day I found that I had a small aptitude for sales.
Strangely it's true !!


Coming back to my Specialization, A lot of Clubs were formed in the beginning of the Course, We had a Marketing Club for Marketing Enthusiasts, Finance Club & so on . The Best part of these Clubs were that ,before the Clubs were formed or even before the Objectives were defined, We had a Rigid & Frigid Organization Structure in Place. I had no Idea whatsoever and did manage to gain entry into it. Getting into any of these Clubs was not Easy , One had to WORK - and work Really Hard to get in. I promised I will deliver, but ran shy of performing.

" Hard work pays off in the future. Laziness pays off now "

Found it very fulfilling to be Instantly Gratified!


I had picked up a few Subjects in Marketing , but found it too abstract & at times too Interesting. The Fun in Sales & Marketing is that you get to travel a lot. I loved to Travel and hence thought it would be a Strategic Fit. So got an opportunity to take up a Marketing based Summer Project.

I started dreaming of Travelling to Delhi , Kolkata , Chennai , Bangalore and
Andamans (for the sake of Snorkeling) .......


I was myself Surprised, I confess.

I ended up in this Remote Village in TamilNadu , Travelling in a munsiff bus with this man standing next to me , dark & muscular, dressed in a red colored fish net vest and had draped himself with a solid-colored LUNGI ( A garment worn around the waist, particularly popular in regions where the heat and humidity create an unpleasant climate for trousers. A simple double knot and a belt on it to ensure that the lungi doesn't slip or come undone) A startling and unfortunate digression with a long tangle of avoidable details , but is relevant to the story.

This chap with a huge moustache (Like a bi-cycle Handle bar) and a bunch of beaded talismans around his arms and neck had sacred vermillion smeared all across his forehead which infact had no clear boundaries and had ventured a few inches beyond his forehead to reach his bald pate. There is nothing overstated in this description.

And Guess what, he had Company !!

All I could gather from overhearing to their Conversation was that , her name was Visalam.

She was young and looked very Innocent. A couple of shades Darker but had silky skin , the highlight was the sparkle in her eyes. She stood Coyly next to him. It appeared as if it was a mercenary marriage. She kept avoiding eye contacts and he was all the while trying to lay his hands on her. The entire bus watched them with anxiety and helpless anger ! I was one of them too.

I wished I could kick the moustache man and free her from his clutches, But Reality Bites and thank heavens that I was rational, sane, sound, and sensible. This man had a Sickle Which was drawn in length to accomodate more heads in each sweep. Good that I saw the Sickle before questioning him. I instantly became dumb & partially deaf.The bus took a winding route and the G forces did help him to stay close to her. I was furious .........

I Immediately thought of a Plan !

How is this Story Relevant to my SPECIALIZATION ? Who said it is !

Sorry ! Coming Back to my Specialization ( Where we left it ) I wanted to Know if I could ever fit into Sales & marketing and tried my hand at selling Agricultural Consultancy Services over the Internet to the farmers in Rural Maharashtra , I was not entirely succesful until I visted the remote rural landscapes of Maharashtra and started talking to the farmers personally, trying to sell these services. I had this wonderful opportunity to stay in these inhospitable conditions with the mercury soaring to heights of no return. I had a series of Focus Group Discussions and tried hard to understand their problems. Finally I was exposed to certain harsh realities about their needs.I finally prepared a report which now focussed on certain fundamental issues , which if addressed would lead to the succesful selling of these Services.There was only a murmur of Satisfaction and I felt good about it.

In about 15 to 20 days people had started recognizing me , I was popular ( because of my dressing ),the Panchyat , Gram Sabha members started recognizing me.The small tea shop under the (Banyan or Peepal or Some) tree near the bus shelter started offering me credit.

By the end of the project I had made a few friends and learnt a few lessons too .....

I discovered that Sales & Marketing " It is about People & their Needs "

I still havent figured out whether I fit in or I don't.......

But both my projects earned me appreciation from the Corporate & Academia. I leave history to judge on that.


And coming back to the Moustache Man , Visalam paid a concise tribute , she kicked him and ran away from the bus.


But, wait, you haven't heard the end


Visalam , The poor creature ran away to join her herd.





To Continue ...........

2 Comments:

Blogger darthcoder said...

Ha ha kandy, very nice and informative blog ;).
Well, am a prospective b-schooler and stumbled upon ur blog searching for sjmsom in google blogsearch.

Another one of those prototype "IT Guys wants to do MBA" types, I am :(.

Hope to see you soon though, pray for me that I get into a good b-school and keep writing ur informative and funny experiences@SJMSOM.

Take care,
Darthcoder.

9:31 AM  
Blogger bhattathiri said...

Excellant blog.
The despondency of Arjuna in the first chapter of the Gita is typically human. Sri Krishna, by sheer power of his inspiring words, changes Arjuna's mind from a state of inertia to one of righteous action, from the state of what the French philosophers call "anomie" or even alienation, to a state of self-confidence in the ultimate victory of " dharma" (ethical action.)
When Arjuna got over his despondency and stood ready to fight, Sri Krishna reminded him of the purpose of his new-found spirit of intense action - not for his own benefit, not for satisfying his own greed and desire, but for the good of many, with faith in the ultimate victory of ethics over unethical actions and of truth over untruth.
Sri Krishna's advice with regard to temporary failures is, "No doer of good ever ends in misery." Every action should produce results. Good action produces good results and evil begets nothing but evil. Therefore, always act well and be rewarded.
My purport is not to suggest discarding of the Western model of efficiency, dynamism and striving for excellence but to tune these ideals to India's holistic attitude of " lokasangraha" - for the welfare of many, for the good of many. There is indeed a moral dimension to business life. What we do in business is no different, in this regard, to what we do in our personal lives. The means do not justify the ends. Pursuit of results for their own sake, is ultimately self-defeating. ("Profit," said Matsushita-san in another tradition, "is the reward of correct behavior." – ed.)

5:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 India License.