Tuesday, July 03, 2007

But it Rained ! - Part - I


" Three Young MBA students found Electrocuted in a city bar "

The headline did not catch anybody's attention.

Is it because Life has no Value ( Absolute / Integer).
Is it because MBA has no Value (No Comments !).
Is it because of Indifference ( Hardly makes any difference ).
Is it because we have become Immune to such Incidents
( Immune is not the word, NUMB ).

Is it because the news is not shocking enough
( 440 Volts should be shocking enough ).

Is it because Three is such a small number (Why don't you be the one !).


Society ,Culture ,Politicians, Businesses, Celebrities, Science & Technology , Tourism ,George Bush , Iraq War , Salman Khan , Pervez Musharaff , Michael Jackson .............. should all be blamed.

Oops ! What has Salman Khan, George Bush , Iraq War, Musharraf or Michael Jackson got to do with the Incident.

Sorry , I became a bit Emotional.

The headlines Indeed did not catch anybody's attention because of the simple reason the Incident (almost) never happened.


It was like any other Monday Morning , Dull , Drab & Depressing.No matter how much you cheer yourself up, Mondays will always be Mondays. The hangovers of the Saturday & Sunday Night parties always spills over to Monday. I got the News that the morning classes were canceled. I told myself , So this is how it feels not to have classes on Monday mornings.Once in a while lady luck pays an uncustomary visit to lesser mortals like me. So without much adieu, I fell asleep, skipping my breakfast & lunch ( Sleep is Sacrosanct ).

I remembered that I had to attend a couple of lectures in the evening (Evening means Evening). It was raining and I ended up sleeping till evening. I was late as usual , slipped into my Jeans & T-shirt combo and armed with my state of the art armour which is a fully-automatic portable weapon, designed to fire cartridges in quick succession from an ammunition belt or large-capacity magazine, typically at a rate of several hundred bullets per minute. I also forgot to mention about the most important feature and the only true feature of the armour, It could protect you from Mild / Heavy / Very Heavy Showers , Yes It was my very own State of the Art Umbrella, which I almost & always used to forget. On this ocassion I remembered to tag it along with me and reached the lecture hall amidst mild / heavy Showers, only to realize that the classes have been suspended due to rains. I felt something amiss , this is unusual, rains are something very inherent to mumbai , How could these showers deter our proffs from conducting lectures. I mumbled something and waited in the corridor for a rickshaw to go back to the hostel and finish my sleep , which I had left unfinished.

My batchmates were also waiting to go back to the hostel and the waiting session became a discussion session about latest trends in finance , I said run for your life , I can manage the rains not finance and immediately darted off from the scene. I was walking back and to my surprise, Bumba (Fellow Member of the Elite 6 Pointer club , In summary a fellow hopeless-one) stopped by. He asked me if I wanted to join him to do some shopping for rain gears, I hesitantly agreed and within minutes we were on his bike and in the middle of heavy showers. The visibility was very bad and hence we decided to cut short our visit.

Outside the Campus, we saw some strange things, A lot of people were walking on the road , bus services had come to a grinding halt and no vehicles were to be seen on the roads. The rains became very heavy . We decided to go back to the campus , but also thought that when we have come this far,as well buy some food (Hostel food tastes like feet). So there was a restaurant /bar nearby and we decided to stopby to grab some food and head back to the hostel.


A wild thought struck us........................


Why should we take the trouble of packing the food , taking it back to the hostel and then eating it there ( which will invite competitors ). Lets finish our meal here and then head back to the hostel. We agreed to it and decided to park the vehicle outside and entered the bar. We were drenched completely and entered into the premises which was dimly lit and I forgot to tell you something , there was " Water , Water every where " and it was knee deep. We waded through it and found a table and parked our asses comfortably.


Another wild thought struck us ........................


Now that we have decided to eat , Lets have a booze as well. In that case there is something missing. Two is Company and Three is a group. Booze should essentially be consumed in a group , so lets Invite Nirvana (Fellow Member of the Elite 6 Pointer club , In summary a fellow hopeless-one). Nirvana an ardent and a lifetime member of the booze club, declined the Invitation. We got furious and immediately dragged him from the campus to the bar. Nirvana found the setting a little bit confusing, he found it difficult to wade through knee deep water. We sat down and started ordering our ususal poison.

Outside , it was pouring, water entered into the premises and it was surging beyond the knee , we never noticed any of it and were discussing about World Peace. I guess we were drunk and hardly noticed the changes around us.

The lights flashed for some time (I even thought for once, that Lightning might have struck, but what are our chances !) ,and before we could even realize what was happening, somebody at the other end started shouting " Current Shock, Current Shock".The lights were behaving crazily with an intermittent on and off rhythm.

I felt something underneath , It was an unpleasant feeling and tingling sensation . I realized something was wrong , immediately I cautioned Bumba and Nirvana , to lift their legs from the water. Things became worse when a waiter was hit by a severe shock almost paralysing him temporarily and he dropping all the food and immedaitely clinging on to the chairs nearby. We were all nervous , In about a minute all of us were standing on the table.( Mind it , its a small table and Imagine all three of us standing on it, half drunk. It was Indeed a Balancing act ). We could see everybody else doing the same. All of us were sweating and did not know what to do. The lights were slowly becoming faint, which meant there was power supply and nobody dared to step into the water to check. There was absolute chaos and a few men started abusing the manager ,who had abandoned the bar and had run out of the premises. None of us were ready to get down from the table, so we decide to wait till the power was switched off. As we all stand , waiting for somebody to take a chance , we hear a loud bang !!!! from the kitchen , which gave us the message that the water had entered even the kitchen and there was some casualty for sure.

We waited and every passing minute was like an hour. The wait in fact seemed to be never ending.

I was feeling tipsy and hardly could manage to stand for long. I lost my balance ,


There was a loud Cry for help.....................


to be continued . . .

1 Comments:

Blogger P H Karthik said...

Deepak!Great to see you back in blogosphere!!! Would wait anxiously for part 2.

7:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 India License.